Friday, January 11, 2013

Grateful

In case you didn't know, I am the easiest person to shop for in the entire universe. I may require a lot emotionally, but Chris has it so easy - I've always been a cheap date and easy to please.

Why, you ask? Because I'm a nerd and I love books and anything related to writing and socks, lots and lots of wonderful socks. I reject plain socks and refuse to wear (or own) white socks (except the kind you wear to the gym because who wants to waste good socks there?). I like 'em striped, argyle, or my favorite kind, silly.


The most amazing pair of socks I've ever received lay here among ones from both Mom and Chris. You'll notice they're not just argyle, they're argyle with mustaches.

What? I know. Amazing.






After socks comes books, the kind you read for fun sent to you from your good friend at Random House who knows your taste, and the kind you write in,






the kind you read so you can make amazing gelato and ice cream in your new ice cream maker,




the kind you read to help get yourself published so you can tell people you're an actual author,








and the kind you hide things in.
After the nerdy stuff comes the wine-related stuff...which is always appreciated.

Need to chill your wine to the ideal temp?
(left)


Need a redneck wine glass in which to enjoy said perfectly chilled pinot grigio at the block party?
(right) 


















And because the interwebs are constantly overflowing with cat paraphernalia, it's my duty to add a little Murphy to that soup. It may have been a Green Christmas, but it was still a good one for the dog child.

It was funny, the second I brought home his stocking, he knew it was his and dragged it off a couple of times. And every spoiled puppy should have his own sheep skin, right? Its name is Shrek, Jr. but not after the ogre. Yeah I know...he's got it rough.


Is there a point to this brag-fest of a blog today? 

I suppose this is just another attempt to show you a little bit of who I am via the things that make me happy. I'm a fortunate person and I try to keep that in mind whenever I start to itch over things like not getting to drive a Porsche while living in its motherland, not having control over what happens next for us with regards to where we may go, and not being in the shape I'd like to be in. I think it's okay to celebrate those things which bring us joy, especially when some of that joy comes in the form of a jar glued to a candlestick a dear friend made just for me, because it's when we forget about the little things that we begin to slide toward not appreciating the bigger things we have. So in a way, appreciating new books and socks and wine vessels keeps me grateful that I've got a car at all (the Mazda 6 model of Porsche), that in an unstable economy Chris will still have a job regardless of where we go (while I pursue writing), and the blessing of having a fully functioning body with the ability to get to where I want to be if I can just stick to it.  

Oh, and the Murphdog, because look at this face.


4 comments:

  1. The moustache socks are my favorite. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no...did I spell it wrong?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, there are two spellings, and I use both all the time, 'cause I just can't seem to settle on one. Kinda like gray and grey. Or is there an actual difference between those that I don't know of?

      Delete
  3. This was like reading a post about me! I'm all over the patterned sock thing, and you got some amazing ones!

    And that picture of little Murphy sniffing up at his stocking is my favorite! He's so gosh darn cute!! I'm forever a dog person, and can't wait till I own one again.

    ReplyDelete